This lesson is written as a series of notes for the facilitator.
1. Before starting the lesson, students outline a typical lunchroom at their school - drawings preferably.
2. Students predict what a lunchroom in another country might look like.
Introducing the Lesson:
1. Watch Resource 1 together as a class and go through a “I Noticed… I wonder… What If?” activity. Discuss with partners, and then as a whole group.
2. Have students work through Resources 2-4 independently, collecting the information outlined in the articles.
3. Students read about a kid's life in Congo
Students complete a graphic organizer that compares and contrasts the experience of a typical child in India, the child in this article, and the individual student’s experience.
Option 1: Students create a PSA-style video/cartoon/audio clip about how important child nutrition is to their education.
Option 2: Students write a letter to the editor explaining an opinion they formed after reading these resources.
Option 3: Students consider patterns they see in these photos of different lunches from around the world.